Date(s) - 11/05/2012 - 12/05/2012
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
2 full day Advanced Workshops for Mental Health Professionals:
Presenter: Dr. Kathleen M. Reay, Author of Toxic Divorce: A Workbook for Alienated Parents
This is a 2 full day course for mental health professionals who have a minimum Master’s level degree in counselling, clinical psychology, social work, or a similar social science and must be licensed to practice in a state/province. There are few therapists that have had advanced training in how to handle these cases and the need is great. If you are a mental health professional and this is a specialty that interests you, you could make a powerful contribution to the distressed families that are affected by a serious dysfunction that far too many divorcing parents and their children experience.
Who Should Attend?
This is a 2 full day course for mental health professionals who have a minimum Master’s level degree in counselling, clinical psychology, social work, or a similar social science and must be licensed to practice in a state/province.
Workshop Agenda & Learning Objectives
Doors open at 8 a.m. Breakfast and/or light snacks and refreshments are served at various locations. Dr. Reay’s book will be available for optional purchase at this time.
9 am – 10:45 am seminar
10:30 am 15 minute BREAK
11 am – 12:00 pm seminar
12:00 pm – 1:00 pm LUNCH (on your own)
1:00 pm – 2:30 pm seminar
2:30 pm – 2:45 pm 15 min BREAK
2:45 pm – 4:00 pm seminar
Why it is important to learn about PA & PAS?
- Why critics are wrong
- Up-to-date facts on the proposal submitted to the DSM-V Task Force of the American Psychiatric Association for the inclusion of parental alienation in the upcoming Diagnostic & Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-V) and the ICD-11
- Effective Assessment and Diagnostic Procedures
- The value of early identification
- Don’t jump to conclusions!
- Seven different reasons why children and youth may refuse contact with a parent that aren’t necessarily related to PA or PAS
- preferences for a child or youth to prefer one parent over the other in intact, blended, separating, divorcing, and divorced families
- What are the distinct differences between PA and PAS?
- The eight primary manifestations of PAS
- The misdiagnosis of PAS
- The dynamics that lead to PA, a legitimate form of justifiable estrangement and the dynamics that lead to PAS, a legitimate form of unjustifiable processes
- Assessment for PA/PAS and child risk of suicide
- Assessment for PA/PAS and child risk of flight
- Assessment for PA/PAS and relocation issue
- Assessment for PA/PAS and culturally-diverse issues
- The use of psychological tests
- The prevalence of PAS
- Variations in the severity of PAS
- Short-term and long-term consequences of PAS
- Psychological characteristics of alienated children and youth
- Developmental issues that may contribute to PAS
- Psychological characteristics of alienating parents
- The intergenerational cycle of PAS
- The layers of players: Roles of family members, professionals and the justice system
- The destructive power of systemic third-party alienation
- Effective Treatment Considerations
- Ethical considerations for working with this specialized population
- How to avoid therapist alienation
- Why it’s not business as usual for treating this type of population
- Who is the client?
- How to avoid no-win treatment interventions
- Let’s Load Your Therapeutic Tool Boxes!
- Effective treatment interventions for mild, moderate and severe levels of alienation
- So you’ve been fired by an alienating parent. Now what?
- How to deal with non-compliance issues
- Reunification Therapy
- Residential programs for reunifying alienated parents & children
- Where does treatment for the alienator fit in here?
- Collaborative treatment approaches
- Recognition of PAS in the Canadian Court System
- The Mohan Test
- Children’s Rights
- Do alienated children have the competency to testify in court?
- Helping your client choose an effective lawyer
- When you need to testify in court: How to respond to the most common examination and cross-examination questions
- Self-care and compassion fatigue
- Why it’s important to encourage alienated parents to never give up!
Registration & Fees:→ More Information
Sheraton Guildford Hotel- 4 star rating
Distance: 8 minutes driving distance to workshop. Easy access to Highway 1 to Vancouver or the Abbotsford International Airport, both 45 minutes away. Walking distance to BC′s second largest indoor shopping mall.
Contact: 15269 104th Ave. Surrey, BC
Phone: (604) 582-9288 Toll-Free: 1-800-325-3535
Please note that rates fluctuate and may differ from those listed on this webpage. We do our best to keep these prices current. Dr. Kathleen M. Reay, Inc. will not be held responsible for issues that may arise between you and the accommodation provider.
TERMS & CONDITIONS:
PLEASE NOTE: The full amount of the workshop must be paid at the time of registration. Limited seating is available. Space will not be confirmed until the full amount of the workshop has been received and processed. Registrants will be advised via email that space has been reserved. Official receipts will be issued in person when you sign in at the workshop.
CANCELLATION POLICY: All cancellations must be provided by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. A $10 cancelation fee applies to the May 3 & 11, 2012 6:00-8:00 pm evening events only if cancelation is made 2 weeks prior to the event. All other events a $75.00 cancellation fee will be retained if cancellation occurs 32 days prior to the course. No refund or credit for a future event hosted by Dr. Kathleen M. Reay, Inc. will be given under any circumstances within 31 days of the course date. You are encouraged to send a substitute participant in your place if for any reason you are unable to attend the workshop. Please advise our office staff if another individual plans to take your place. Seats cannot be shared between individuals.
Our liability is limited to partial refunds for workshop fees only. Dr. Kathleen M. Reay, Inc. reserves the right to cancel the training program. Please ensure that your travel arrangements including lodging, airfare and/or car rentals are done with this in mind. In the unlikely event that we have to cancel a workshop, we will issue a full refund for workshop fees. Dr. Kathleen M. Reay, Inc. will not be held responsible for any participant’s or presenter’s statements, behaviours, omissions or materials. Unregistered individuals and children are not permitted at the workshop. Thank you for your anticipated understanding.
How information is collected and how it is used
Personal data collected through this site consists of information submitted voluntarily during the registration process, including your name, mailing address, telephone and e-mail address. Access to data is limited to staff of Dr. Kathleen M. Reay, Inc. authorized to process registrations and organize the workshop.
Online workshop registration and credit card processing
All credit card payment information is communicated using industry-standard SSL 128-bit encryption. Credit card information is NOT stored; transaction and authorization codes are.